10 Muslims were chopped to dead and five other escaped in a massacre in Tongoup (Taungup) township on Sunday while they were travelling back to Yangon from Thandwe township.
During their way back to Yangon from Than Twe Mosque by bus-”Roma Thitthar” on 3 June 2012, a group of 300 Rhakhine Buddhist people killed them with knives at Tongoup (Taungup) which is situated on the way.
According to the list escalated when they left from Tachan Pai Mosque to Than Dwe for Chila(Jama at), the eight Muslim victims were from central Burma and are identified as;
1) Muhammed Sharief @ U Ne Pwe s/o U Ahmed Suban, 58 8/Ta Ka Ta (N)095548, from Taung Twin Gyi
2) Muhammed Hanif @ U Maung Ni s/o U kay Pe Sufi, 65 8/Ta Ka Ta (N)095530, from Taung Twin Gyi
3) Shafield Bai @ U Aye Lwin s/o U A Hpoe Gyi, 52 8/Ta ka Ta (N)093573, from Taung Twin Gyi
4) Aslam Bai @ U Aung Myint s/o U Hla Maung, 508/Ta ka Ta (N)094557, from Taung Twin Gyi
5) Balai Bai @ Tayzar Myint s/o U Yakub, 288/Ta ka Ta (N)189815, from Taung Twin Gyi
6) Shuaib @ Tin Maung Htwe s/o U Tin Oo, 218/Ta ka Ta (N)231084, from Taung Twin Gyi
7) Salim Bai @ Aung Bo Bo Kyaw s/o U Tun Tun Zaw, 2614/Ma La Na (N)231084, from Myaung Mya
8) Lukman Bai @ Zaw Nyi Nyi Htut s/o U Ibrahim, 3314/Ma La Na (N)148133, from Myaung Mya, and
-the two other victims were helper husband and wife from Tandwe township.
The car with plate number- “7 (Ga) 7868″, was also burnt down.
The other 5 Muslims were able to escape from brutally killing. The corpses were buried in Than Dwe on 3rd June 2012 evening. It’s clearly indicate that the Rakhines people are threatening even Muslims from outside Arakan state.
Tongoup (Taungup) is one of four townships defined as Muslim-free Zones by government decree in 1983. Since then several hundreds of Arakanese Rohingyans who were captured in these regions were killed directly by Rakhines involving government authorities.